Current:Home > InvestThe U.K. is the latest to ban TikTok on government phones because of security concerns -Capitatum
The U.K. is the latest to ban TikTok on government phones because of security concerns
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 02:55:59
LONDON — British authorities said Thursday that they are banning the Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok from government mobile phones on security grounds, following similar moves by the U.S. and European Union.
Cabinet Office minister Oliver Dowden told Parliament that the ban applies with immediate effect to work phones and other devices used by government ministers and civil servants. He described the ban as a "precautionary move," and said it does not apply to personal phones and devices.
"Given the particular risk around government devices, which may contain sensitive information, it is both prudent and proportionate to restrict the use of certain apps, particularly when it comes to apps where a large amount of data can be stored and accessed," Dowden told British lawmakers.
The U.S. government mandated last month that employees of federal agencies have to delete TikTok from all government-issued mobile devices. Congress, the White House, U.S. armed forces and more than half of U.S. states already had banned the app.
The European Union, Belgium and others have also temporarily banned the app from employee phones.
The moves were prompted by growing concerns that TikTok's parent company, ByteDance, would give user data such as browsing history and location to the Chinese government, or push propaganda and misinformation on its behalf.
The company has insisted that such concerns are based on "misinformation" and said it was taking steps to boost protection of user data from the U.K. and Europe.
"We believe these bans have been based on fundamental misconceptions and driven by wider geopolitics, in which TikTok and our millions of users in the U.K, play no part," the company said. "We remain committed to working with the government to address any concerns but should be judged on facts and treated equally to our competitors."
China accused the United States on Thursday of spreading disinformation and suppressing TikTok following reports that the Biden administration was calling for the short-form video service's Chinese owners to sell their stakes in the popular app.
Last year, Britain's Parliament shut down its TikTok account, which was intended to reach younger audiences, just days after its launch after lawmakers raised concerns.
veryGood! (18639)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- The Best Gifts For The People Who Say, Don't Buy Me Anything
- At COP28, a Growing Sense of Alarm Over the Harms of Air Pollution
- JLo delivers rousing speech on 'tremendous opposition' at Elle Women in Hollywood event
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Major foundation commits $500 million to diversify national monuments across US
- US experts are in Cyprus to assist police investigating alleged sanctions evasion by Russians
- Hanukkah message of light in darkness feels uniquely relevant to US Jews amid war, antisemitism
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- McDonald’s burger empire set for unprecedented growth over the next 4 years with 10,000 new stores
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- 160 funny Christmas jokes 'yule' love this holiday season
- Best way to park: Is it better to pull or back into parking spot?
- U.S. charges Russian soldiers with war crimes for allegedly torturing American in Ukraine
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Free agent OF Joc Pederson sparks rumors about next team with Instagram post
- High-speed rail project connecting Las Vegas, Southern California has been granted $3 billion
- Jennifer Lopez Flaunts Her Figure With a Cropped, Underboob-Baring Breastplate Top
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Attacks in 2 Texas cities leave 6 dead, 2 officers wounded; suspect in custody
Australian Parliament rushes through laws that could see detention of freed dangerous migrants
Massachusetts woman wins $25 million scratch-off game 17 years after winning $1 million
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
College Board revises AP Black history class set to launch in 2024
Court filing gives rare look inside FBI seizure of lawmaker’s phone in 2020 election probe
In rare action against Israel, U.S. will deny visas to extremist West Bank settlers